Thursday, July 26, 2007

Downtown Cafe in Kingston NY

I had a little trip yesterday, down to Poughkeepsie for a deposition and then a little stop in Kingston City Court.

I got to Kingston early. The court parking lot had no shade on a hot day, so I drove a bit to look for a lunch place nearby (with shady parking, of course). Just down the hill from the Court is a lovely spot called Rondout. I parked under the bridge (hence, in the shade) and noticed a few restaurants. One stood out - Downtown Cafe.

It stood out because I saw the phrase "Zagat Rated" outside. The outside menu listed a chicken dish with rice and asparagus. In a small hurry, I walked in and ordered before sitting down. Pleasant atmosphere, nice decor, friendly staff, etc. The food was good, though I'm judging on only one dish. I did look over the menu and liked the variety and choices. Good dessert list too.

If I'm ever in Kingston for dinner, Downtown Cafe will be high on my list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're going to be in the kingston area check out:
Le Canard Enchaine on Fair Street
New World Home Cooking in Saugerties
Joshua's in Woodstock
Bear Cafe in Bearsville
Terrapin in Rhinebeck
Calico also Rhinebeck

You'll never eat in the Albany area again. They're far better.